Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chicken Noodle Yummyness

A few years ago I discovered the amazing taste of homemade chicken noodle soup.  So much better than from a can, there's really no comparision.

These days I've got the process down to a science... Or at least as scientific as my brain will allow.

I will often roast a small chicken in the oven for dinner & when we're done eating Joe will put all the leftover meat in a tupperware in the fridge.  I will then put the carcass in a large pot on the stove, cover it in water, throw in some carrots, celery & chopped onions & let it simmer for a few hours.  Sometimes I'll put it all in the crockpot & let it simmer on low overnight.  When the simmering is done I let it cool & then strain off & throw away everything but the liguid.  This results in some yummy broth.  Sometimes I'll measure it into 1 cup increments & stick it the freezer & sometimes I'll use it all up w/in a day or so in my homemade chicken noodle soup.



Here's my recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 lb (or so) leftover chicken cut in small pieces
5 cups broth (add water if you don't have enough broth or even do all water)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
2 T chopped fresh Parsley
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup wide egg noodles, uncooked

Place broth in a large (6 quart) pan & add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, parsley, Italian Seasoning, salt, & pepper.  Cover & heat to boiling over medium heat.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Add the noodles & simmer for 15 more minutes or until noodles & carrots are tender.  This recipe is easily doubled if you've got more chicken & broth on hand.


This method also works great at Thanksgiving for using up leftover turkey & making Turkey Noodle Soup.
I'm linking up to Freaky Friday at Real Food Freaks, Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet and Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RELATED POSTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top