Friday, February 10, 2012

Honey Walnut Granola

Last week I offered to make granola for a church thing. I think my homemade granola is PRETTY amazing & so does my husband but I'd never made it for other people.  It was a hit & was quickly eaten up. I make a few different varieties and this version is my latest creation.  It's easy to adapt for allergies- make it gluten free by omiting the wheat germ or nut free by leaving out the walnuts & substitute a seed like pumpkin instead.  This is great as breakfast cereal with milk or mixed into plain yogurt- so frugal & healthy!



Honey Walnut Granola
3 cups oats (slow cooking kind)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil (melted coconut oil is yummy)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg white (optional)
Mix-ins I like to add:
2 Tablespoons flax meal
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325. Mix the oats, brown sugar, honey & oil together.  Add the vanilla, and if you prefer clumpy granola, the egg white.  Add whatever mix-ins you like: nuts, seeds, etc. Pour onto a cookie sheet & spread over the entire pan.  Pop in the oven for 12 minutes.  Remove the cookie sheet and with a spatula, break up the granola, flipping the pieces over to let the sides brown. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the granola cool for 10-15 minutes, then gently break it up using the back of a spoon. Store in a jar or ziploc bag and it will last more than 2 weeks.  It never gets the chance to last that long around here.


I found this jar at IKEA and it stores my granola & looks pretty



1 comment:

  1. Did you post this just for me b/c I wanted to make granola today? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

RELATED POSTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top