Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

I started making my own liquid laundry detergent years ago but eventually stopped because I didn't like "cooking" it or having an open bucket of detergent in my laundry room. Here's an easy, frugal, "no-cooking" recipe for making your own powdered laundry detergent that I like better.

1 bar of Fels-Naptha laundry soap, grated
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

I grated the bar of soap first, let it sit overnight to dry out then placed it in my food processor to chop it up. (I prefer it to be as chunk-free as possible.) Next I added the washing soda & borax to the processor and pulsed a few times. Then I poured it the detergent into a pretty glass jar I picked up at Goodwill. To use: add 1-2 Tablespoons to your laundry depending on size & dirtiness of your load.

1 comment:

  1. We use ivory soap, but I haven't thought to let the grated soap sit overnight to dry out. That would really help our recipe! Thx. :)

    ReplyDelete

RELATED POSTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top